Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

19.2.16

Less is More OLC challenge

Less is More are doing a One Layer Card (OLC) challenge this week. The theme for this challenge is to add a stem to your card. 

I've only tried a OLC once before and it came out... badly. It looked cheap and flimsy, and confirmed to me that layers, embellishments and more is the way to go. More is More! Yay!

But no. LIM is stretching me creatively and I can see from the many gorgeous submissions so far this week that OLCs can look amazing. 

I then went and did some googling to find help me crystallise my thinking on what I might like. So, things that inspire me in OLCs:


  • Shaped edges, especially a shaped front edge that leaves a coloured inside of the card popping out from 'behind' it. 
  • Loose, colourful watercolour splodges and splatters with a vibrant stamp over the top. This seems to work best with text or a 'solid' stamp that can hold its own against the background.
  • A masked and coloured/stamped strip running either the full length or full width of the card.
  • Softly inked backgrounds and/or off-centre stamping.
  • A coloured card blank - black, grey, red, Kraft brown... anything that stands out boldly.
  • Doodling and hand lettering. So brave! So unique!
  • Texture and dimension added through heat embossing, texture paste stencilling, Glossy Accents etc.
  • Faux stitched edging to give clean lines, texture and a 'finished' feeling.

After looking online and seeing all the amazing challenge entries already in, I felt really overwhelmed with what can be done with OLCs, and totally inadequate for the task of creating something anywhere near as gorgeous as what I'd seen other people do. I'm certainly going to be practising more of these cards in future now my eyes have been opened to the possibilities!

Anyway, here's my effort at an OLC using Card-io Majestix Oriental Blossom stamps and their 'stamping off' technique to create the illusion of depth, Versa Color chalk inks in Pinecone, Grape, Peony and Green Tea, Promarker warm grey for butterfly shadows and hand drawn butterfly flight lines. It was a fun process - thanks for the creative push, LIM!




If you'd like to take part in the weekly challenges at Less is More, you can find them here.

14 comments:

  1. So pretty!! Beautiful stamping and colours :-)....and yes I thought the other entries were amazing but so is yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane! Everyone else is sooooo good it feels a bit overwhelming but I guess practice, practice, practice is the key to learning this new (to me) style!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Fiona! I appreciate your kind comment :)

      Delete
  3. You've made a great list of OLC factors there! I think I might refer back to that one in future if I get stuck for ideas! I love that stamp set too, it's one I've had for a while and it comes in handy so often. You've got a really pretty card there, great choice of colours. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so impressed at what can be done with OLCs... I'd never realised before! It's a lovely set isn't it. I don't do much stamping (I'm whispering that, lol) so this is definitely stretching me!

      Delete
  4. Well done for challenging yourself, your card is well worth it. So pretty. I have these stamps too and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all well done on your showcase today Esther following the white on white challenge and please accept that your one layer card here is AWESOME! Beautiful colours, beautiful scene and perfect stems plus CAS-perfect. I often find the one layer cards a bit flimsey so tend to chop them to add to another card base after photographing! LOL! thanks so much for playing along again. Sarah (Less is More) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's really nice of you. I was actually wondering about using the card as a top layer on something else, but wondered if that was me trying to revert to type LOL! Good to know even the pros do this sometimes :D x

      Delete
  6. This is stunning Esther and beautifully stamped. The whole effect is lovely!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Chrissie. I do need to keep practising my stamping, which I hardly ever do, rather than glueing more embellishments which I'm really really good at LOL! These challenges are going to be very good for me. Hard, but good...!

      Delete
  7. What stunning depth you achieved with your stamping, this is a fab one layer.
    Your list for OLCs is interesting and inspiring, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Thanks so much for joining us for one layer week
    Anne
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! I'm really enjoying the challenges :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...