Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

11.3.16

Less is More - colour challenge (citrus)

Firstly, a massive thank you to Tara at Seven Hills Crafts for so generously supplying a prize to me for the February win at Less is More. So many gorgeous goodies in her store - it took ages to choose something! All will be revealed in a future card! What a lovely lady and fantastic online shop. I really recommend you take a look.

The fabulous Less is More are doing a citrus colour challenge this week. It took me the whole week to make something I was happy with! Citrus is a funny set of colours. They can look fabulous, but they don't suit every technique or layout, as I quickly found out.

In the end I went for a simple layout using three repeats of a Tim Holtz Texture Fades Tattered Leaves die. 



I coloured these with Distress Inks in Mustard Seed and Twisted Citron, and splattered them with water to lift some of the colour back off to create texture and visual interest. I also curled up the edges slightly for extra dimension.

These were stuck to a linen effect panel with sentiment, and I used my sewing machine to do 'silly stitching' in lemon coloured thread around the edge before raising the panel with foam tape off the linen effect card base. It was actually a bit embarrassing how easy it was to sew wonky. I think I'm better at it than straight stitching! If you like the effect of silly or wonky stitching, but don't fancy sewing, you could get one of these from Seven Hills Crafts! They nearly fell into my basket as I browsed!

Thanks as always to the Less is More DT for such amazing inspiration for the challenge, and to everyone who enters the weekly challenges. It is SUCH a pleasure looking at your beautiful cards. 

If you'd like to play along each week, check out the Less is More blog for info!




36 comments:

  1. Lovely CAS and a wonderful use of those color tones. Very fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! Citrus tones are so refreshing to work with, I must do it more in future :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the LIM shout out Esther and I'm sure Tara will love it too at Seven Hills Crafts! Can't wait to see what you do with your new goodies but first up another classy, striking and perfectly zingy take from you here. Love the inky blending and flicking water on the distress inks add so much interest. Superb card and thanks for sharing and playing along at Less is More this week. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just loving those leaves and the stitching is just the right finishing touch to your card. All in all a great card. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful CAS card. So elegant with the most perfect layout and colours. Loving the wonky stitching and the splate on the leaves. Fabulous card x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stitching was good fun to do! Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sid - I thought yours was gorgeous with those lovely butterflies and coloured inside peeping out!

      Delete
  6. Such a pretty card Esther and great stitching too. Yes that's my fav shop to browse...I buy far tooo much stuff from there. You will have to hide your purse now you have found it lol. Well done on your win too, have fun with your crafty goodies ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't encourage me Viv!! I've been browsing there again lol. Thanks so much for the congratulations! xx

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful card, Esther. Love the colors and the stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty...love the stitching around the edges...you've inspired me. Thanks for sharing at Less is More!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous, Esther. Aren't distress inks great, you've created such lovely blends here, and a fab effect with the splatters. I too have spent many hours browing Tara's shop, and spent far too much many times (far too much is never enough though is it?!)
    Thanks so much for sharing with us, and for taking the time to visit your fellow participants, you're a star.
    Anita x
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Anita! I realised after posting this one that I seem to do most things with Distress Inks and leaves. Obviously a bit of an obsession!

      Delete
  10. Love your trio of new leaves, Esther! I hope they are harbingers of Spring for me in the Northeast U.S., as I am ready for warmer weather. Thank you for your visits to my blog and for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kay! Oh my goodness, I'm so ready for spring too. Fingers crossed we both get some balmy weather soon!

      Delete
  11. This is so pretty, you have coloured these leaves so delicately. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog, I get my Brushos from That's Crafty online shop if you wanted to look at getting some ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pauline for both your comment and the enabling! :D

      Delete
  12. Hola Esther, thank you for your kind comment, i´m so glad to see you again on my blog;D
    Your card is simply perfect fresh and clean, i like your 'silly stitching" it´s a visual break point, clever!, beautiful card!!
    I see your others works, they are fantastic too, the castle card is is amazing, i think in my son;D;D;D.
    Hugs from palma and i hope to see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loli! That's really nice of you x

      Delete
  13. Very pretty and love that stitching, it's such a great detail.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just had a look through your blog and your cards are gorgeous. Thank you so much for the kind comment that you left on my blog, it was very much appreciated x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I think your cards are lovely too x

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous layout and those leaves are stunning. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful work dear Esther. Perfect take on citrus challenge. :-) Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog.
    Have a great week!
    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonja! You're welcome - your cards deserve lots of compliments and it was a pleasure visiting your blog x

      Delete
  17. Oh beautiful Citrus LIM card Esther. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry, it looks like I missed visiting you last week!
    This is another great card Esther, love these citrus colours. Glad you enjoyed your win, it was very much deserved!!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...