Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

15.3.16

Less is More - one layer challenge with sentiment - card 2

More hand lettering practice for the Less is More weekly challenge - this week to do a one layer card (OLC) with a sentiment as the focal point. Lacking sentiment stamps, I've decided to do as much hand lettering as possible in an effort to improve. After all, a challenge should involve stretching yourself... right? *meep*





This card is for my niece, Lola, whose 8th birthday is coming up. I imitated the "L" from a fantastic video by Overnight Artist on YouTube - watch a speed drawing of the most beautiful alphabet! The rest I just did cursive, thickening the downstrokes which is a common "faux calligraphy" technique.

So, how am I feeling about hand lettering after two attempts? Well, honestly, I'm still pretty rubbish at it. I can see lots of imperfections that are due to being a beginner rather than due to it being done by hand. But it's really good fun to do, and probably ideal for anyone who's into Mindfulness as you do get completely absorbed in what you're doing which feels quite restful. I think the hardest part for me is showing the results publicly when they're not yet perfect. But that means the Less is More challenge has succeeded in stretching me personally and in my card making, which is surely the whole point!

If you want to play along each week with the LIM challenges (which are not always scary!) check out the Less is More blog.

34 comments:

  1. Wow such gorgeous handwriting! Love the card too,it's fab
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love your hand lettering, I'm sure your niece wil love receiving such a personal card. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow - great lettering on this and the card below. I tried many years ago but not for me. May case the idea though but using digis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linby! Ooooh, good idea to use digis. In fact, I wish I'd thought of that!!!

      Delete
  4. You are on a roll here Esther, more great lettering and another super submission!
    Thanks again.
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hand lettering looks pretty fabulous to me! Beautiful work and it creates such a thoughtful and personal card. I'm not sure I would have the patience :) Thanks for sharing with us at Less Is More, Esther!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done you! It may have stretched you but the result is certainly worth it. Your card is terrific.
    Thanks for joining us at Less is More
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really nice of you Sharon, thank you! x

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing the video, Esther! Great hand lettering on your card here! Lola will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is fab! I have NEVER attempted hand-lettering on a card! It looks great and such a great bonus if it contributes to mindfulness!
    Thanks for your visit! Glad you enjoyed my sequins. ;)
    Cheers,
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shanna! Your sequins were fab :D

      Delete
  9. I think your hand lettering is fabulous! I'm sure your niece will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crikey Esther - I thought your lettering was computer generated! Awesome art creation!
    Thank you so much for joining us at "Less is More" this week
    Anne
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very nice of you Anne, thank you!

      Delete
  11. It's a super card Esther, your hand lettering is so beautiful. Funnily enough I have been doing some calligraphy this week too....I am not as good as you! I was trying to use watercolours and a water pen, may do a card soon and show it...or not lol ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're SO brave using watercolours! I want to use a brush but so far I've watched lots of YouTube tutorials but not dared try! Definitely do a card and show it. I bet it will look fab! I'd love to see it xx

      Delete
  12. Oh I think your hand lettering looks fabulous! Fab design, love it :o) Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous! Your hand lettering is beautiful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great girly and personalized design! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Esther ... your lettering is amazing on both cards ... such fantastic detailing and precision ... so cool! Would never have known you were a beginner! Thanks so much for your visit and lovely comment! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita, that's so kind of you! :)

      Delete
  16. This is brilliant, I am in awe of your lettering skills.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful card. I love that it is personalized to the recipient.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...