Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

14.3.16

Less is More - One Layer Challenge

Over at Less is More, the challenge this week is a one layer card with the sentiment as the focal point. 

As I own a single set of sentiment stamps (Christmas ones - and I didn't feel like making a Christmas card!) I decided it was time to try out some hand lettering. I can only get better, right? That's a comforting thought to hold on to.

My first effort (oh no! There may be more!) was inspired by some amazing "scribble lettering" I saw on Pinterest from a blog post on the 'Lisa Letters' blog. I wanted to do something like this but add in some doodle fill like the awesome Joanne Fink's Zenspiration Monograms






I used a Sakura Pigma Micron 01 black pen for the lettering, then added a doodle and a scribble border, and finally put in some colour with Pan Pastels in Diarylide Yellow and Bright Yellow Green Shade. Guess I'm still feeling spring-like! The colour is actually brighter and extends out further in real life, but after literally 38 attempts to get a decent photo with everything in focus and accurate colour... I'm quitting. This is the best of a bad bunch, and you'll just have to imagine that sunny goodness!

Thanks for stopping by, and remember you can play along each week with the Less is More challenges right here.

34 comments:

  1. such a stunning card, very well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! You are so creative...and talented! This is a terrific one-layer card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, this hand lettering is amazing, you are so talented. I really like the doodle look. Stunning, you should design your own stamps x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandie! It was fun doodling it x

      Delete
  4. Fabulous card... Ester.... Love you last few cards to....
    Hugs Sylvie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvie! That's lovely of you xx

      Delete
  5. Fabulous card Esther. How very brave of you to do hand lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous card! I love the design. I've never been brave enough to hand write a sentiment on the front my card. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz! Believe me, I took it v-e-r-y slowly! xx

      Delete
  7. Terrific handlettering...just beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Less is More!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan! I've got a lot of improving to do, but it was good to make a start on trying lettering.

      Delete
  8. Esther, this is such a stunning card. So beautifully done, what a talent you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd never attempt to do my own lettering - no-one would be able to read it! The way you've done the H and B is fantastic - looks kind of zentangly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire! I love the look of Zentangle x

      Delete
  10. Esther you have talent beyond talent! This card is sooooo awesome! So resourceful, so one layer and CAS perfect and I'm thrilled that you've persevered and played along again this week at Less is More. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Sarah! I'm loving the LIM challenges... it's like a whole new hobby! :D x

      Delete
  11. Such a gorgeous card, love your lettering and love that border. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, that's really nice of you! x

      Delete
  12. Beautiful card. The choice of colors is unique, makes this card is so unusual.
    hugs,
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the lovely comment!

      Delete
  13. This is amazing work Esther, I really admire your hand lettering which looks awesome!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chrissie! Another terrifying OLC week done! :D

      Delete
  14. Fab card, Esther! I have been (and remain) freaked out about zentangles!!! But in the much smaller dose here, I find I quite like it. Kudos to you for swaying me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay! I'm not keen on full zentangles either, but like the effect in miniature!

      Delete
  15. This looks so great Esther, well done.....so glad you can't see my efforts lol ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww Viv, I bet yours looks absolutely fine! xx

      Delete
  16. Wow, Esther, this is fabulous. Well done you for creating this masterpiece!
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Anita x
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your zentangled letters look fabulous! And the doodled frame with the branch really pops up the sentiment! Thanks for visiting my blog and for the lovely words!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...