Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

30.4.16

Less is More - Guest Design Team designer paper cards

This week I have the great privilege of a guest Design Team slot with Less is More, the clean and simple (CAS) challenge blog. The challenge this week is to make a CAS card using designer paper.

I love designer paper. A lot of the paper stacks I have are quite fancy, and I've often wondered how they could be used in a CAS way. This was my chance to have some fun finding out!

Card 1




This paper is from the gorgeous DCWV Mariposa stack. I only have snippets left of each paper now as I love it so much. Even though it's a not-very-CAS paper, it works on a CAS card because only a small area of it is showing. The non-symmetrical shape of the top layer of cardstock also reduces the 'busy' effect of the paper by emphasising the plain top layer of card. 

Ingredients: 
Butterfly paper from the DCWV Mariposa designer paper stack
Black cardstock from Craft Creations
Gold cardstock from my local print shop
Lawn Fawn Stitched Hillside Border dies
Woodware Magic Anti-Static Pad (essential for embossing on black card)
Clearly Besotted Fancy Sayings stamp set
Ranger Perfect Medium ink
Papermania Enchanted Gold embossing powder

Card 2



I wanted to make a very quick and simple card with a focus on words rather than shapes. This 'Happy Birthday' designer cardstock from Anna Marie Designs just pops out from underneath the linen effect top panel. Because it's quite busy and detailed, it's again important to keep it to a small area.

Ingredients:
Happy Birthday designer cardstock from Anna Marie Designs
Linen effect white cardstock
Let's Party die set from Echo Park, cut from gold glitter card with a non-shedding smooth surface for die cutting from Thyme Graphics
Gold sequins, source unknown

Card 3




A fun but hopefully 'grown up' shaker card for a teen. This one uses a fine detail polka dot paper from Docrafts Papermania Capsule Collection by Jesse Edwards, which is filled with lovely black, white and grey designs. The polka dot makes a subtle background to the pink sequins in the shaker.

Ingredients:
Linen effect white cardstock
Docrafts Papermania Capsule Collection
Polaroid frame SVG from SVG Cuts
Balloon from Let's Party die set from Echo Park, cut from pink glitter card with a non-shedding smooth surface for die cutting from Thyme Graphics
Balloon string from a freebie birthday balloon by Sarah Hurley, cut out of white linen effect cardstock and coloured with grey Sharpie and clear Wink of Stella
Sequins, source unknown
Sentiment and pink dots computer generated, font Arsenale White



I've really enjoyed making these cards. Thanks to the Less is More Design Team for the generous guest slot invite! If you want to join in with the weekly challenges, check out the blog. Thanks for stopping by!

68 comments:

  1. Wow, not one but three fabulous makes, Esther! I love your glittery 'let's party' and your cool shaker, but I think your first card wins my heart. Such beautiful paper, a lovely flowing design and the dark cardstock makes it really classy. It's great to have you as our GD this week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all simply fantastic Esther, proof that your Designer Spot with us is so warranted! I love the papers you chose too!
    Wonderful cards every one!
    Thanks SO much!
    Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity! I've really enjoyed it xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful cards! Love your style.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like the black, it makes the butterflies pop, it's very elegant, but i'm not sure i like it for a brithday or celebration card, but that's me ;-) the second and thrid are aqually stunning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab papers used in a perfectly CAS style! Love those butterflies on the first card - the dark card adds real drama. Your teen shaker is gorgeous too. Great to have you as a GD at Less is More, Esther....have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah, you too!

      Delete
  6. Esther you have worked your little socks off here with outstanding designs. Love the opulent and dramatic look of the first one and you are so correct in your CAS takes. Love the gold glitter lettering on the second and WOW a perfect shaker card with a teeny bit of design paper in card 3. Simply FAB-u-lous! It's great to have you guest design with us this week and you have amazing talent. Thanks so much. Oh you might want to link the shaker one up at AAA cards as we are looking for CAS shakers there. Have a greet week and I hope you get lots of visits from the LIMettes. Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much Sarah, that's really nice of you! xx

      Delete
  7. Oh Esther, this cards are amazing!! Congratulations on your guest spot at "Less is More", I saw the post this morning and I'm so happy to see your gorgeous cards, all of them perfect examples of this style, for a newbie like me, you guys inspire me so much and I need all the inspiration I can get!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Maria! But you know, your cards are gorgeous and always so beautifully designed and laid out... they seem pretty amazing to me! Hugs x

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your GD spot and three fab cards to boot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your guest DT spot, really well deserved, fantastic cards and fabulous contributor. I've always appreciated your kind words. Thanks for sharing your beautiful designs :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well they're all fab, but that first one is just stunning! What a gorgeous card, perfect design. Congrats on your GDT spot :o) Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lisa, that's really nice of you x

      Delete
  11. Congratulations Esther on your guest role at LIM - well deserved as your cards are fab, and your visits to individual blogs are always appreciated. Your first card is just stunning - a great idea for this challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations at being guest designer for LIM thoroughly deserved. What amazing CASA creations all three of them are beautiful but my heart has been stolen by the first. I have that paper pad and like you have only snippets left , you have inspired me with this fabulous dynamic card.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous paper pad isn't it! I made a mini album using it, and it was really hard to cut into those lovely pages :p Thanks for your kind words x

      Delete
  13. Congratulations on your well deserved guest designer spot. The three cards you've designed are pretty awesome. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great cards, but I love the first one. Fabulous paper and so great put in opening.
    Classy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your guest spot. Totally deserved of course! I love al 3 cards! Great way to use DSP :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great use of your papers and I love the swirly window Esther !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the well-deserved Guest Design spot, Esther! I love all three of your cards, especially that first one cuz I have that DSP!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous pad isn't it! I really think I'm going to have to buy another one because so many of my fave papers from it are gone completely. Thanks Darnell!

      Delete
  18. Your butterfly card is just stunning! thanks for inspiring!
    Do drop in and play Paru's Card making Challenges!
    http://paruscardmakingchallenges.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Esther it's lovely to have you join us this week, your cards are always fab and this collection is no exception.
    Have to say I am overwhelmed by your butterfly card - dramatic, elegant, striking x

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful trio of cards Esther. Love the elegance of the butterfly card and the way you curved the paper.
    Congratulations on your Guest Designer role at Less is More - very well deserved indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you Sylvia, thank you!

      Delete
  21. Three beautiful cards Esther and well done on being the LIM guest designer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These cards are all fantastic! I especially love the first with the curved edge: I'll have to try this, I have a die that would work! Thanks for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. All three are great cards, Esther. Well done on your Guest Spot at Less is More! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Those are 3 absolutely fabulous makes Esther. Perfect use of designer paper on all three cards. Love your designs and choices of colour too. Really can't pick a favourite as I love them all. Thanks so much for such wonderful inspiration and for being our guest designer.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the opportunity Sharon! I've absolutely loved it x

      Delete
  25. Three gorgeous cards, Esther. My favourite is the top one, just beautiful and so classy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Three fabulous creations and love the different in the colours and design.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  27. what a great trio of cards. my fave is the first one which is sooooo elegant, hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are fabulous! I have so (!!!) many pattern papers & your ideas are great. I'm following you now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really nice of you, thank you Pam!

      Delete
  29. Gorgeous cards Esther,all of them.Loving the LIM one of course,well done on the GDT spot too 🙂 Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really like the design of your first card and the colours; not so common used in CAS-style but so stunning! Thanks for visiting and commenting my blog again...looking forward to your LIM-card? Hope you can enjoy some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Esther another lovely selection of cards for the LIS challenge. I can't pick a favourite unfortunately as they're all so beautiful. I am really loving this style of card just now.

    Hugs Erika. x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations on your Guest spot with LIM, I love your card with the DP fab use, great ideas with the other cards too!! Gay x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great cards and congratulations for being guest designer. Thanks for letting me know my link was wrong. I have re uploaded and it now seems to work. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...