Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

13.5.16

Less is More colour challenge - pastels

This week on Less is More, the challenge is to make a clean and simple (CAS) card using pastels.

Pastels.

Shudder.

Most things I make with pastels end up looking terribly twee. I know this shouldn't be the case, because I can see everyone else's lovely creations in the gallery and there's not a hint of twee. I think I'm hexed, so I don't use pastels very much (= ever).

Anyway, I remembered seeing a technique where you swipe an ink pad over a dry embossed piece of card to add colour to the raised areas. I figured that a pastel base with soft white ink on top might avoid any twee while still meeting the challenge guidelines - I hope!

Luckily I had a pastel card base because in the days before I knew better I bought a set of pastel bases - pink, yellow, green and blue - with matching envelopes. Then I realised about my pastel allergy, and they've sat unused and unloved ever since.



Sadly, my photography skills are as bad as my pastel skills. The card looks almost invisible on my computer screen. Maybe that's for the best! :D

If you want to play along with the Less is More challenges each week, check out their blog.

Thanks for stopping by!



22 comments:

  1. Your card looks so beautiful Esther, loving the soft blue and pretty embossing.I think you do pastels very well ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Viv, that's lovely of you xx

      Delete
  2. I thinks it's beautiful. I love that embossing folder x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! I was trying to find what it's called but all I know is it's by Cuttlebug x

      Delete
  3. Funnily enough, I think I have some of those pastel card blanks somewhere! Love your idea with the white ink, and it looks gorgeous... fab card :o) Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther, this is so pretty! Wonderful design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Esther, I am loving your subtle colourway and delightful design !

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW! Dreamy, classic, elegant, sophisticated and an awesome take on the pastel challenge Esther. Perfectly CAS and stunning. Thanks always for playing along and your continuous support of LIM - you face pops up everywhere in the comments and it's so appreciated. Hugs Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card, really like how you've used the white ink on the pastel embossed card, must give it a try. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I found it works best with more detailed embossing folders. If the embossed design has lots of empty space, it's too easy for the ink to go onto non-embossed bits by mistake and then it looks messy x

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! This is a Class card with a capital 'C' Esther. It is rich, opulent and soooooo elegant...I adore it.
    Thanks so much for joining us at Less is More.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much Sharon! xx

      Delete
  9. This is stunning Esther... classic and classy!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I see absolutely no twee, just a stunning and classy creation. I too have a little box of unloved coloured cards and envelopes, I must try this technique, you've shown it off as just fabulous!
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Anita x
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just catching up on my look through your blog. Cant believe I missed this one. Its so pretty and soft. I love how you have done this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...