Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

15.5.16

Less is More - One Layer Card (OLC) challenge

The challenge this week at Less is More is to make a clean and simple (CAS) one layer card (OLC) featuring an "at sea" theme.

If you get a moment, do visit the Design Team blogs because they've put together some fantastic cards for inspiration.

I decided to use a seashell that I drew a year or so ago when I did the Derwent Art Academy drawing course, now sadly ended. I have this shell in real life. When I was about 9 or 10, I swapped it with a new friend for several smaller seashells. I could hardly believe she didn't want this beauty any more! It's travelled with me from my childhood home to university and then through six house moves. This week's LIM challenge seemed a great opportunity to try using it in a card. 




To make the card, I scanned the seashell drawing and then used MS PowerPoint to make the background transparent. From there I loaded it into MS Word, adding a double box outline and a sentiment in Janda Stylish Script. I wanted a very tranquil but precise feel - like an old natural history book - so I played around with the colour saturation and temperature of the shell until it felt like a vintage illustration. The sentiment reads: "Each seashell holds the crash of waves and the songs of faraway mermaids."
I really need to sort myself a better camera...

EDIT: Here's the original shell.



If you'd like to play along with the Less is More challenges each week, check out the blog.

Thanks for stopping by!

32 comments:

  1. Beautiful card lovely sentiment Debbs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous card, beautiful drawing.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful CAS card with a very appropriate sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfectly neat and elegant Esther. That's one classy stamp and I love how you've added the double dash border to the image it really makes it pop. Love it and thanks for playing along at Less is More this week. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah - and I'm super flattered you took it for a stamp! x

      Delete
  5. A simply beautiful card, you're so talented being able to draw like that. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card...and I'm in awe of your drawing! I aspire to do something like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! I thought it was a stamp, beautiful drawing and composition using the PC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Esther! Fabulous, and you have real talent!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you made this from your own drawing, you're super talented Esther. I love the subtle feel to it too.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Anita x
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  10. So it's scanned from your drawing, colourised and then printed? Or did you colour it after you printed it? It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The original is done in pencil on sketch paper so it's a much whiter background. I played around with saturation in Word to darken the white, and then printed it :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the clarification. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks again! I added the original sketch into the post x

      Delete
  12. This is simply terrific Esther, what a clever bit of computer jiggery pokery!
    A bit beyond me, but you've certainly created a terrific feel to this card!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a classy and beautiful card Esther...and wow you drew the shell too...awesome ! ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness, Esther, you are a for-reals artist! Your drawing is very good! And so are your computer skills! I am impressed with all your talent and love this beautiful card!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's what I love to do too, making use of original art and adapting it to new! Love tis one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...