Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

25.6.16

Less is More #282 - stencils

I'm so thrilled to have been invited to be part of the Less is More design team. What an honour!

This week, the challenge is to make Clean and Simple (CAS) cards using stencils. I love using stencils as they're so versatile in the effects you can create.

As usual, the DT have made some stunning cards for your inspiration so do check out their blogs - links at the bottom of this post.

Card 1 - direct-to-paper inking through stencil


For my first card, I took a panel of Neenah Solar White card stock and dabbed Tsukineko Encore Ultimate Metallic Pigment Ink in Gold through a Crafters Workshop stencil (TCW237S). Metallic pigment ink doesn't dry well on this sort of beautifully smooth card, so I heat embossed it in Papermania Embossing Powder in Clear. 

I then cut a vellum panel and used a Lawn Fawn Stitched Borders die up both sides. It was scored and adhered to the rear of the panel using two thin strips of red liner tape.

The star was cut from a scrap of Neenah Solar White card stock using the second smallest Sizzix Framelits Stars die (657567), coated in more of the Encore ink and heat embossed in clear. I did the same with the sentiment, which is from My Favorite Things Brushstroke Birthday Greetings, but used Post-It Tape to mask the top half of the sentiment to give a dip-dyed effect. The swirly behind the star is the smallest die from the My Favorite Things Scribbles dies, cut from gold glitter card.

Card 2 - blending ink through a stencil


For this card I again took a panel of Neenah Solar White card stock and used a Ranger ink blending tool to lay down a layer of Milled Lavender Distress Ink. I then taped a stencil over the top and used an Inkylicious Ink Duster to add a layer of Dusty Concord Distress Ink. When the stencil was peeled up, it left behind a lavender colour negative.

I used the Stitched Alphabet dies from My Favorite Things to cut out the word "thanks" and stuck acetate under the panel. Some foam tape around the edge, purple glitter and a slightly smaller base layer to seal it all in created a shaker panel. I cut a larger later of Neenah Solar White card stock and used a Lawn Fawn Stitched Borders die to create a border each side of where I wanted the shaker panel to go, before sticking it down. The whole thing was then stuck to a card base from the same card stock.

What I really love about this technique is that I still have the positives of the letter shapes to use in another project!

Card 3 - stencils and glitter 


This card uses the wonderful stencils and glitter technique from Jennifer McGuire.

I cut a small panel of Neenah Solar White card stock, then stuck a sheet of double sided adhesive panel to it. I coated a Dyan Reaveley stencil in Ranger Perfect Medium and taped it down over the card panel. I shook pink glitter over the stencil and used the shiny backing from the adhesive panel plus a bone folder to really get the glitter stuck down. Then I peeled off the stencil and shook silver glitter over the exposed remaining adhesive sheet. Again, the shiny backing paper and a bone folder helped to stick the glitter firmly.

The panel was adhered to a card base and I cut a top layer from the same card stock at an angle and gave it a border using Lawn Fawn's Stitched Borders dies before sticking it down with foam tape. The sentiment is from the My Favorite Things Brushstroke Birthday Greetings cut from Craft Creations black card stock. I coloured three Papermania adhesive gems with a black Promarker and added them to the card.

Card 4 - embossing paste through a stencil


I cut a panel of Neenah Solar White card stock with the largest of Lawn Fawn's Large Stitched Rectangle Stackables and taped down a brick stencil over it. I mixed Dreamweaver white embossing paste with Papermania Embossing Powder in Holographic and smooshed it through the stencil. You can just make it out in the photo - in real life it has a lovely shimmery sparkle. 

I then created a border using Lawn Fawn's Stitched Rectangle Frames and popped it up on foam pads. I stamped three Altenew Vintage Roses using Versa Color Pigment Inks in Hyacinth, Heliotrope, Violet and Grape. The leaves were stamped using Bamboo, Olive and Evergreen. I cut them out with the matching Altenew dies and tried a few layouts until I was happy, and then stuck them down. 
The sentiment was stamped on Craft Creations black card stock in Ranger Perfect Medium and heat embossed in Ranger Embossing Antiquities in Weathered White. The whole panel was then stuck onto a card base in Neenah Solar White card stock.

Do check out the lovely creations from the rest of the DT:

Anita - Neet and Crafty
Chrissie - Simply One of a Kind
Sarah G - Funky Fossil Designs
Sarah P - Sazzle Dazzle Crafts
Sharon - From my Craft Desk
Susan - BlueFogStudio

Thanks so much for stopping by!

46 comments:

  1. Hi Esther
    Welcome to LIM, what a stunning array of stencilling. It all looks amazing but I particularly love your textured bricks, makes a fab background x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anne! You are sadly missed x

      Delete
  2. Wowee Esther! You were really on a roll this week! Welcome to the team :-)
    Super, stunning designs and so many different stencilling techniques too - what incredible inspiration. Hard to pick a favourite, but for me the elegance of the white bricks on white has just swung it.
    Have a fabulous week.
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! Stencils are awesome so it was a lovely week to start on :) xx

      Delete
  3. Wow, Esther, you've been super busy! I adore that last card, those roses look beautiful with the shimmery texture. And I've never thought of using glitter with stencils, what a great idea! Welcome to the team x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita! It was a fun week :) x

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the team Esther and what a way to make your entrance! Simply stunning... so much inspiration and such varied techniques with stencils, I love them all but the last is a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Esther! You really deserve to be on the DT!! Beautiful makes for this week's challenge, but I especially love card 4. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards if I had to chose it would be the bricks on vellum. Congrats on being part of LIM xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many congratulations on your new DT post over at LIM - loving all of todays makes

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the team we are so happy to have you! Your cards are lovely and perfect use of the code word.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats Esther, I am thrilled for you and an amazing set of cards x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh WOW!! Esther, all of this cards are GORGEOUS, I can't think of choosing one as a favorite, all of them are unique and amazing, spectacular way to start your Designer Team membership!!!
    Thank you for sharing and for explaining how you made each one of them.
    I'm off to Pinning!!!!!
    Hugs,
    Maria Rodriguez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! How kind of you xx

      Delete
  11. Love all of your stunning stenciled cards! Thanks so much for sharing how you created these beauties. Congrats on being added to the LIM DT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very creative use of the stencils Esther!

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  13. So excited to have you on the team, Esther and particularly excited by this stunning selection of cards. I can't decide which I love the most! You have showcased a whole range of ways to use stencils including the glitter technique and that beautiful embossing paste brick work. Wonderful inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I'm thrilled to bits that you've joined the Less is More team Esther. Your cards and commitment every week are outstanding and I'm swooning like crazy at this bevvy of beauties! Loving all the glittery sparkle and clever techniques with your stencils. You are rocking and I'm sure you'll get loads of appreciation this week. I can't pick a favourite as I'm just stunned at each one. So unique, vibrant and glamorous! Hugs Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Many congrats Esther for joining the 'LIM' team, so thrilled for you ! gorgeous makes here too, all fabulous as ever....so sorry late commenting this week too ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. your cards are incredible, thank you for your inspirations with so many techniques, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Esther on your position on the LIM DT - well deserved! Your cards are just beautiful and so creative! I'll be gaining lots of inspiration from your blog. Thank you also for visiting my blog on a number of occasions - I've been moving house lately, so not much creating happening but hopefully will be back to it soon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, and I hope the house move went well. So time consuming, but hopefully you'll soon be settled and have lots of crafting time :)

      Delete
  18. Great cards Esher, Favorite though is card number 4

    Lilian B

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations, Esther, for the well-deserved honor of being part of the LIM Design Team! You will be an amazing asset to the team! Your cards are evidence of exactly why you were asked to join - stunning!! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely comment Darnell!

      Delete
  20. Big congrats on your invite to the LIM DT - very well done.
    I love your cards but #4 is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A fabulous collection of stencil cards, no favourite I just love them all!
    Congrats on joining the LIM team.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elaine! That's really nice of you x

      Delete
  22. Amazing, each one. I've learned so much here today!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations Esther on getting on the DT for LIS. Four beautiful cards all totally different but fitting the brief perfectly.
    Thanks for the visit and happy crafting!
    Hugs

    Erika. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...