Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

24.9.16

Less is More week 295 - Thread



Hi LIMettes, welcome to another challenge with Less is More! This week we're asking you to make clean and simple (CAS) cards that include some thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make. I've got two cards today which I hope inspire you - read on!


Card 1



For this card I cut a panel from linen effect card stock and added an aperture using Lawn Fawn Large Stitched Rectangle Stackables. 

My lovely mum recently long-term loaned me her full set of Brushos - what a star! I took a piece of watercolour card and painted on a generous amount of water over the area I wanted to cover. Using multiple colours (Scarlet, Vermilion, Crimson, Dark Brown, Orange, Yellow, Moss Green) I sprinkled the powders into the watered area until I was happy with the effect. 

I let the card stock dry naturally and then die cut a leaf using Sizzix Tim Holtz Bigz Tattered Leaves. To add visual texture, I spritzed water into my hand and splattered it over the leaf, then mopped up the water droplets with kitchen paper which removed some of the colour in small patches.

I glued the leaf over the aperture and stamped a sentiment in Versafine Onyx Black ink using my MISTI for placement.

On the heavyweight 300gsm white card stock base, I adhered some cheesecloth which I'd distressed first to distort it. The leaf panel was then stuck on top of the card base using foam tape.

Card 2



My second card uses one of my favourite new stamp sets by Lawn Fawn, Jump for Joy.



I inked up a panel of heavyweight 300gsm card stock with Peeled Paint Distress Ink, then splattered it with water to ghost away some of the colour. I then added some splatters in Wild Honey and Walnut Stain, masking the area of the card I wanted to keep clean.

Using Neenah Solar White 216gsm card stock I stamped the fox, a large outline leaf and two small outline leaves using my MISTI and Memento Tuxedo Black ink. These were die cut using the matching dies.

Colouring was done with Promarkers: the fox in Walnut, Chestnut, Cinnamon, Tan and Warm Grey 01, and the leaves with Burnt Orange, Spice, Honeycomb and Pear Green.

I laid all the elements out where I wanted them, then stamped the sentiment using Versafine Onyx Black ink and my MISTI. I then adhered some brown twine at the bottom using a tape runner on the back of the panel. 

Finally, I mounted the panel onto a heavyweight 300gsm card base using foam tape.


As always, there are some brilliant inspiration cards on the other DT blogs so do head over and take a look:

Anita - Neet and Crafty
Chrissie - Simply One of a Kind
Sarah G - Funky Fossil Designs
Sarah P - Sazzle Dazzle Crafts
Sharon - From my Craft Desk
Susan - BlueFogStudio
 


Thanks for visiting!

24 comments:

  1. 2 stunning creations Esther, love the cuteness of the second one that's coloured to perfection but the first is definitely my favourite. Full of brusho magic and loving how you've incorporated the thread. Oh fantastic looking blog too - all crisp, clean and awesome. Have a fun week. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leaf is superbly coloured. As is the Promarker squirrel. Nice work all round :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my - that first leaf could be real!! Love the richness of colour and texture you have achieved with those brushos and the cheesecloth background is such a subtle, clever touch. Your sweet fox is perfectly coloured and that subtle inking adds to the autumnal feel. These are both brilliant, Esther. Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever use of cheesecloth...love the way you have coloured the leaf so very autumnal x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two gorgeous cards, Esther, as usual ! I particularly love the first one, it is so creative ! What a gorgeous effect you gave with your mum's Brushos and the wonderful layout with the open panel, this cheesecloth (did not know this word ! Thanks !) behind and the awesome lonely leaf on top of it ! It is a stunning CAS card ! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment Izzy :)

      Delete
  6. Wow and wow! The colours in the leaf on your first card are absolutely amazing, in fact I thought the leaf was real! Just brilliant.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine - I'm loving playing with the Brushos :)

      Delete
  7. Wow Esther, that leaf looks real. Terrific job and great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're so lovely!! Love the minimalistic look of them.
    The leaf on the first is just wow! So realistic!
    And the second and is fun, playful and fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Svitlana! I really appreciate all of your sweet comments :)

      Delete
  9. Great CAS card here Esther, love that cute fox too ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning makes again Esther! Was wondering how you got the thread behind that A-Maze-Ing leaf. Cheesecloth! Who'd've guessed? That leaf is just exquisite and I'm so jealous of you having all those brushos. What a great Mum! Your second card is such a cutie image too and just perfectly coloured. (Sorry I'm so late visiting this week - been manic here and I'm only just catching up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sharon! I'm so happy about the Brushos and may have to go missing with them if she ever wants them back ;-) Hope things calm down for you soon!

      Delete
  11. What an adorable little scene with that beautifully colour frolicking squirrel, Esther ... and a stunning leaf ... just gorgeous against the delicate cheesecloth background! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I'm so late visiting, Esther! Loving your two autumnal themed cards. Your leaf is absolutely exquisite, the effect you achieved with your brushos is outstanding. And cheesecloth, what a great idea! And I love the gentle blend and splatters on your second card, the floating leaves give it great movement x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment Anita! x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...