Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

17.9.16

Seven Hills Crafts monthly challenge - September sketch


Hi everyone, hope you're having a fab weekend! I wanted to enter the Seven Hills Crafts blog challenge again. This month it's a sketch challenge.






I interpreted the bottom line of circles as Christmas trees, and the other circles as stars. I offset the stamping from the sketch to remove the symmetry, but highlighted the stars that are standing in for circles by making them bigger and giving them a silver glow.



The background is done with Distress Inks in Chipped Sapphire (top), Faded Jeans (middle) and Broken China (bottom). I splattered it with water to bleach areas, and then flicked Adirondacks Mixatives in Snow Cap to add some pale splatters.

The trees are from the Hero Arts Color Layering Christmas Tree set. I positioned them with my MISTI and stamped them in Versafine Onyx Black ink. The snow is heat embossed with WOW! Super Fine Embossing Powder in Opaque Bright White.

I masked the sentiment strip with paper and stamped two sizes of stars, heat embossing them in white. After removing the mask, the two lines bordering the sentiment strip were drawn using a ruler and a Ranger Perfect Medium bullet-tip pen, and again heat embossed in white. I then darkened the background to the sentiment strip with more Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink applied using my finger and a dried out baby wipe. This gets great intensity of colour and lets you be more precise about where the ink goes. It also keeps your fingers cleaner!

I added a silver halo round the main stars with my finger using Tsukineko Encore Ultimate Metallic pigment ink in silver. After this had dried, the sentiment was stamped and heat embossed in Ranger Super Fine Detail Embossing Powder in silver.

This layer (so far a one layer card) was mounted onto a matte silver panel and then a panel of Colorset card stock in Indigo, before the whole lot was mounted onto a heavyweight 300gsm card stock base.

Thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

  1. The colour scheme, as usual from you, is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this.
    Your background is so gorgeous and I love the little 'halo' effect on your stars.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment! x

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful card Esther, you are so clever.So sorry I am late commenting from last week, lots going on ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Viv! Hope you have a more relaxing week ahead! xx

      Delete
  4. Very beautiful card Esther ! I love how you interpret the theme ! So clever ! And what a gorgeous background ! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Izzy! I'm following you on Bloglovin now :)

      Delete
  5. Wow Esther, you are entering lots of fabulous cards this month and I love this one too :) Brilliant way to use the sketch and I love the glowing snowflakes fluttering down :)
    Thanks for playing along with our challenge this month at Seven Hills Crafts :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great card, Esther!
    I like this night snowy scene!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, great winter scene and excellent take on sketch. I couldn't believe it was only one layer card because of variety of colors. So clever made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what an amazing card, Esther! It's so reaslistic looking! I like the glowing of the snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your lovely comment on my card :) This is deautifully done! I love that the different layers aren't the same and the highlight on the stars. It's a beautiful scene - need to make more Christmas cards!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Ruth! Good luck with the Christmas cards! xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...