Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

8.10.16

Less is More week 297 - one layer 'Dreams' cards



Hi LIMettes and welcome to another challenge with Less is More! This week we'd like to see you make one layer cards about dreams.


Card 1

I decided to use a shaped front for this card so that some dreamy inking on the inside would show through. What could be more appropriate for dreams than this soft, fluffy cloud?



I cut the cloud edge using an Avery Elle Pierced Cloud Die. I then blended Distress Inks in Victorian Velvet, Shaded Lilac and Tumbled Glass inside the card, and splattered them with water to create a mottled effect. The sentiment is from the My Favorite Things Magical Unicorns stamp set, stamped in Versafine Onyx Black.




Card 2

I liked this effect so much I repeated it, but this time using a solid cloud shape from the Avery Elle Pierced Cloud Dies to create an aperture. Inside the card I masked a slightly larger cloud shape using Post-It notes and inked the shape, this time switching out the Victorian Velvet Distress Ink for Spun Sugar. I often use a dried-out baby wipe for inking small shapes as it gives a lot of precision and control over where the ink goes and how much!



Card 3

For my final card I wanted to do something different. I used black card stock and vivid colours to create a surreal dreamscape.



I stamped a favourite stamp, Woodware Grasses, and heat embossed it with WOW! White Super Fine Detail Embossing Powder. When this had cooled, I used Sharpies to colour over the embossing powder. Sharpies don't really like embossing that much, so go lightly and quickly. I then added the sentiment from Clearly Besotted A Little Sentimental and drew the line with a ruler to ground the image, embossing both with the same powder.


Do check out the other DT blogs for inspiration:

Anita - Neet and Crafty
Chrissie - Simply One of a Kind
Sarah G - Funky Fossil Designs
Sarah P - Sazzle Dazzle Crafts
Sharon - From my Craft Desk
Susan - BlueFogStudio


I'm looking forward to seeing what you create! Thanks for stopping by.

32 comments:

  1. Wow, wow and wow again! These are phenomenal, Esther. I love them all but your first two really are so dreamy. I always forget to use the inside on the outside, these are just fabulous! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed making them - very quick and simple which is always a bonus! xx

      Delete
  2. Rocking this challenge theme Esther! Your first two are absolute knock-outs and I love how you used the same artistic idea to such different effect on each card. Incredible inking and blending on both of those cards. Your dramatic and vibrant final card is a fantasy of fabulous grasses. Just brilliant....colouring the embossing with a pen....so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful Esther and beautifully photographed too!
    Many congrats on your DT spot at Seven Hills... richly deserved, enjoy it!
    Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chrissie, I'm trying hard to improve my photography! And thanks re Seven Hills - I'm thrilled and nervous in equal measures! xx

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness....these are just perfect, Esther! I so love the dreamy inking on the first 2 cards and vibrant flowers against the dark base. I have never tried colouring embossing with sharpies. Just beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab cards here again Esther, you cetainly made 3 dreamy cards and I just can't choose a favourite ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three great cards, but that first is sooooo dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh WOW! you've rocked it again Esther. The first 2 just squeal dreamy and love both takes with the inky 'inner' BG. Fantastic idea, in fact I was also toying with the idea of die-cutting a cloud from the centre of the card but was struggling for an idea after that. Your floral images in such vibrant colours against the black are just spectacular. Love them all. Have a great week. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just thinking the first two were brilliant when I scrolled further down and the third one absolutely hit me. It's neither better nor worse, just staggeringly beautiful and surprising after the quieter dreamy ones. They all fulfil the brief really well. I love equally but differently!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cards I love the clouds. xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the soft and subtle colors you used...definitely dreamy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely set of cards and so different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really Ester? This is so great. I love the simplicity of the first 2 card. So little and such amazing effect.
    And third one with embossing and coloring above it looks like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I looked through your cards Esther I kept saying 'wow'! I would never have thought of using a cloud die to create shaped cards but they look beautiful with all that soft blending of colours. And your black card really pops. Fantastic cards!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous cards Esther ! You always exactly know how to showcase with the challenge ! Your first two cards are so soft and light as can be a dream! And I love those vibrant colors on the black background, what a great idea to color on the embossing ! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Izzy, and congrats again on your September win!

      Delete
  15. Wow, very inspiring CAS designs, they are gorgeous.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cards are incredible!!!
    Loving them so much! You're a pro when it comes to less is more. Perfect design and blending on the first two.
    And the last one is just gorgeous!! Love dark background and bright embossing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...