Happiness is a handmade card

Pages

12.11.16

Less is More week 302 - One Layer Cards inspired by books or literature


Hi LIMettes, we've got a fun challenge for you this week over at Less is More, the clean and simple card making challenge blog!

It's the dreaded One Layer Card (OLC) week... oh no! But a really awesome theme - we want you to make cards inspired by books or literature. Well, I almost had too many idea for this one, but time only allowed me to make two cards. If anyone wants to pinch my idea of rabbits for Watership Down, go right ahead! How about pink hearts for Barbara Cartland? A pony for any Pullein-Thompson pony story? The possibilities really are endless!

Card 1



I'm a big fan of Diana Wynne Jones, and was so sad when she passed away. Her books inspired me as a child and I still re-read them often. This one is a tribute to Howl's Moving Castle which is nail-bitingly exciting and has a very determined and inspiring heroine.

It uses My Favorite Magical Unicorns, Lawn Fawn Simple Stitched Hillside Borders and Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pens which, when used "neat", don't bleed through decent quality cardstock. Perfect for OLCs!

Card 2


Another favourite author is Terry Pratchett, again taken too soon. The world is a poorer place without him. This card, with its three apertures and stamping/colouring on the inside of the card, is inspired by his Discworld novel Guards! Guards!. In this story, the Unique and Supreme Lodge of the Elucidated Brethren of the Ebon Night summon a dragon as part of their dastardly plans to overthrow the Patrician of Ankh-Morpork. The Night Watch, headed up by Captain Vimes, have to save the city! Regular Discworld readers will know Vimes hates having to wear ceremonial robes, tights and hats with plumes, so I thought it was quite funny that this little guy here is in his armour but hasn't managed to escape having a plume on his helmet.

I used My Favorite Things Magical Dragons, My Favorite Things Inside & Out Stitched Circle STAX Dienamics and Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pens.

Head over to the Less is More blog for all the details on this challenge, plus loads of inspiration from the rest of the Design Team. As always, there may be some bonus inspiration cards on their personal blogs. Good luck!

Thanks for stopping by!

24 comments:

  1. I see you have lot of ideas. Thank you for sharing them. Your cards are both so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply fabulous Esther and the inspiration behind your cards is beautiful to read - certainly an avid reader!
    Love your gorgeous crisp stamping and wonderful colouring. The second one with the apertures is just so much fun.
    Enjoy your weekend and hope you have some fun. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! You are a wealth of creative ideas for this theme Esther, and reading the list of 'ones that got away' you've now got my head spinning with other book titles! Fairytales - yes, we all loved those as kiddies and some of us are lucky to be able to revisit them with our own children and grandchildren. You've certainly captured that magic with the rainbow and castle image. I roared with laughter when I saw the Guards! Guards! card - I knew exactly who you depicted with the knight. Brilliant! Superb colouring on that and I love the idea of the apertures. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Sharon! Nice to meet another Discworld reader! xx

      Delete
  4. Two magnificent cards coming out beautiful fairy tales! So much memories ! As always, your cards are beautifully arranged and very well colored! You will end up making me crack for the Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pens ! Super, super cute ! I love them !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much Izzy! I do love the Zigs... they've proved so useful on loads of cards now!

      Delete
  5. Two fabulous and magical cards here Esther, love the sweet images and bright colours too :) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awestruck, they are both so well designed and coloured. Haven't managed to read Discworld yet though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One layer fabulousness here, Esther! Love your book related ideas...it sounds as if they could have kept you busy all week :) The fairytale castle is so light and airy and I love the vibrant colours and fun use of the apertures for your Discworld inspired card. Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creative take on the challenge. Love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did it again Esther! Such great inspiration here and wonderful, imaginative cards. And it looks like I'll crack over those Zigs soon.

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha sorry to be enabling you! They're totally fab though:) Thanks Di xx

      Delete
  10. Fantastic cards! I will never be tired of being impressed by you clean style. Perfect and lovely cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Esther, you were on fire with ideas for this challenge and your cards are fabulous! I'm not a reader so really struggled here, but you clearly were in your element with this one. Love the crisp white and the bright colours on both. I so wish I could find time and discover reading but the only time I seem to find is right before bed and I end up falling asleep, clearly I don't find books to inspire me enough. Perhaps this will become a hobby in years to come :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita! Yes, I'm a bit of a bookworm... never as much time for it as I want (mostly because of card making, to be fair!) but I do know what you mean about falling asleep. I have a book on my bedside table that's been there for months because of that very problem. Mind you, it's a re-read... a new one would be devoured instantly LOL xx

      Delete
  12. Wow Esther...such cute cards..love both of them..Thank you for dropping by my blog and the advice..I have added the Novel the card is based on..
    Love
    Richa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...